Overwatch director leaves Blizzard

After nearly two decades in the business, one of Blizzard’s best-known employees is up for something new. Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan announced on Tuesday that he is leaving the historic game developer. “It was truly the honor of a lifetime to have the opportunity to create worlds and heroes for such a passionate audience,” Kaplan said in a farewell note shared by Blizzard.

Aaron Keller, another longtime Blizzard employee, succeeds Kaplan. Before Overwatch, the two previously worked together on World of Warcraft. “Jeff has been a great leader, mentor and friend, and he knows how much we will miss him,” Keller said. “I have been fortunate enough to work alongside him and the rest of the Overwatch team for many years to build something that continues to inspire people around the world, and I am honored to carry the torch. forward.

As you can imagine, there is some concern in the Overwatch community about the timing of Kaplan’s departure. The franchise feels like it’s been in limbo for the past year or so with few and far between meaty updates to the original game. Blizzard won’t be released either Overwatch 2 in 2021. But according to Keller, development of the sequel “continues at a good pace.” He says Blizzard will be sharing more frequent updates to the game “very soon”.

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through any of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tech Technology