Along with the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, OnePlus launched an India-specific device called the OnePlus 9R. For starters, the 9R is more of a OnePlus 8T with an improved design, a new Snapdragon 870 chip, and minor tweaks here and there. This means that it receives the same cameras. Also, you don’t get the benefits of Hasselblad tuning available on its older siblings. So how do you improve the performance of the OnePlus 9R’s camera? Well, this is where the Google Camera mod comes in. In this article we will tell you how download and install the GCam mod on your OnePlus 9R 5G.
Google Camera Mod (GCam) for OnePlus 9R 5G
The OnePlus 9R gets the same camera setup as the OnePlus 8T. There’s a 48-megapixel Sony IMX586 main sensor with a 6P glass lens, OIS, and f / 1.7 aperture on the back. It is paired with a 16-megapixel ultra-wide camera with f / 2.2 aperture, 5-megapixel macro, and 2-megapixel monochrome lens.
For selfies, the phone receives a 16-megapixel Sony IMX 471 with EIS and f / 2.45 aperture. As evident, the OnePlus 9R’s camera hardware is quite outdated. Therefore, while the pictures are quite good, the contest wins in most cases.
Now we cannot make any changes to the phone hardware. However, we can use the Google Camera module to achieve better image quality using sophisticated image processing software.
What is Google Camera or GCam Mod?
Google Camera or GCam Mod is trying to bring Google Pixel Camera to other phones. This is a worn version of the camera from the Google Pixel line. The port uses your phone’s camera API and hardware to use Google’s image processing algorithms.
Using Google Pixel’s image algorithms, the app can help you get better quality photos with more detail and higher dynamic range using HDR +. It also incorporates other Pixel features like Single Lens Portrait Mode, NightSight, etc.
Steps to download and install GCam Mod on OnePlus 9R
Installing Google Camera on the OnePlus 9R is a three-step process. First of all, you need to download and install the appropriate software GCam Mod APK for the OnePlus 9R. Then you will need to download the configuration file which needs to be loaded into GCam for optimal results.
Step 1 – Install the GCam APK
- Open your browser and navigate to this page.
- Here, press the “GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.1_Wichaya_V3.1.1_snapcam.apk. “
- It will automatically download the GCam APK to your phone.
- Once the file has downloaded, tap on it and tap Install.
- Allow apps from unknown sources if prompted during installation.
Step 2 – Download the configuration file with recommended settings
We will be using the configuration file intended for OnePlus 8T on the 9R as they are almost identical devices.
- Open this page in your browser.
- Here, scroll down to search for “OnePlus 8/8 Pro / 8T”.
- Tap on it and download the XML configuration file.
- Now open your file manager and create a new folder, “GCam, ”In internal memory.
- In this folder, create another folder with the name “Configs7. “
- Copy and paste the XML file in the same Configs7 folder.
Step 3 – Open GCam, load the configuration
- Open the GCam on your OnePlus 9R.
- Grant the required permissions including camera, storage, microphone, etc.
- Then double tap anywhere on the empty black space of the Google Camera (you can double-tap in the space between the shutter button and other controls).
- A pop-up will appear asking you to choose config.
- Select the configuration file and click Restore.
That’s it. The Google Camera is now ready for use on your OnePlus 9R 5G. I tried the GCam with the recommended settings on my OnePlus 9R, and it clicked images with more detail and less noise than the stock OnePlus camera app. He also maintained better exposure levels.
If you are not happy with the white balance, you can turn on Google’s automatic white balance. To turn it on, click the down arrow at the top, then set Google AWB to Auto or On.
It was about how to download and install Google Camera or GCam mod on your OnePlus 9R. We have also given you the recommended GCam settings so that you can get maximum performance and improve the picture quality of your phone. Try it out on your 9R and let me know about your experience below. If you have any other versions to recommend let me know in the comments.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, opinions on smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse the Youtube channel.
Some other useful tips and tricks for you