European Super League: it’s not dead – Perez continues to defend his escape plan

Florentino Perez continued his fierce defense of the European Super League on Wednesday, despite the proposed breakaway competition falling apart before starting.

Real Madrid president Perez had been named president of the competition, which was announced with 12 founding teams and came under heavy criticism on Sunday.

Perez spoke on Monday of the need to change football, with clubs struggling financially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, while also citing the lack of interest in the game from younger generations.

Yet his words did little to quell the fury and on Tuesday the six English clubs involved in the competition all withdrew under pressure from the Premier League, the Football Association (FA), UEFA and the government. British.

Owners of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City have all apologized to their fans for their role in the plans.

Atletico Madrid, Inter, Milan and Juventus subsequently withdrew on Wednesday, although Perez claimed the latter two remained engaged.

Still, Perez insists he won’t let the proposals die and insists there must be radical football reform, keeping the European Super League framed as a plan to save the game .

Speaking on the El Laguaro radio show after Madrid’s victory over Cadiz, Perez said: “We were working until late last night. We have been working on this project for many years. We may not have explained it very well.

“They didn’t give us a chance either. Some don’t want anything to happen. It is impossible that in England the six will lose money and the 14 will win money. In Spain, the top three lose money and the others do. This cannot continue – at the moment the rich are the ones who are losing money.

“I’m a little sad, disappointed. We have been working for three years on this project, on the fight against the current financial situation of Spanish football. You can’t touch La Liga so you’re looking for more money midweek and the Champions League format is outdated.

“I have never seen greater aggression from the UEFA president, it was orchestrated, it surprised us all. Insults and threats, like we killed football.

“We are just working to save football. We worked really hard on something that would satisfy everyone.

“There was a campaign, totally manipulated, that we were going to finish the national leagues. That we put an end to football was terrible. But we were working for football to survive.

“If you think the Super League is dead, you are absolutely wrong.”

Perez was also optimistic about the condemnation of UEFA and FIFA.

“Reality is reality. Watch the TV recordings, how many people watch the big games and how many people watch the other games. We have to be real, ”he said.

“This new Champions League format in 2024 makes no sense. No one can understand it. We need a new format to create more money. Young fans don’t watch football, they have other hobbies.

“I’m talking to [Joan] Laporta, Barcelona are always with us. Juventus did not leave. I am not afraid of FIFA or UEFA. “

In conclusion, Perez also said that no club would be able to afford major signings at the end of the season.

“It is impossible to make signatures like [Kylian] Mbappe and [Erling] Haaland without the Super League, ”he said. “Not just for us, there will be no big signings, for any club, without the Super League.

“When I took over, Madrid couldn’t pay their players. We changed the world with the Galactico signatures. Now, after COVID-19, things have to change again. “

sports world