Neymar said “we have lost the battle but the war continues” as the Paris Saint-Germain superstar keeps faith with the club’s Champions League hopes in balance.
Manchester City took control of the semi-final thanks to Wednesday’s 2-1 victory in Paris, where visiting Pep Guardiola produced a sensational second-half turnaround against PSG.
PSG captain Marquinhos opened the scoring in the 15th minute as last season’s runner-up beat City in the first half in the French capital.
But Kevin De Bruyne’s clumsy cross shot found the back of the net just past the hour mark and Riyad Mahrez’s free kick put City in the lead seven minutes later, while PSG finished the game with 10 men after the Idrissa Gueye’s red in the 77th minute. menu.
We lost the battle but the war continues. I believe in my team, I believe we can be better than we were. GO TO PARIS 1% chance 99% faith pic.twitter.com/erQHQQb021
– Neymar Jr (@neymarjr) April 28, 2021
As PSG face a daunting task ahead of their Manchester rematch, Neymar reacted to the result via social media.
“We lost the battle but the war continues,” Neymar wrote in a post-match on Twitter. “I believe in my team.
“I believe we can be better than we were. GO PARIS. One percent 99 percent luck. “
Neymar has not scored in his last six Champions League round of 16 games, his last goal outside the group stage against Borussia Dortmund in 2019-20.
The midweek collapse was the first time PSG have suffered a Champions League defeat as they have led at halftime since 2001 – against Deportivo La Coruna.
PSG are winless in their four European matches against City (D2 L2), only facing Juventus (eight) on several occasions without ever winning in their history.