WFP supported people in north-western and southern areas affected by the conflict between Ethiopian government forces and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which began in November.
In some areas of #Tigraynearly a quarter of all children screened were found to be malnourished.
WFP provides nutritionally fortified food for children and pregnant or breastfeeding women. This nutritional support reached 125,000 people in 24 districts this April. pic.twitter.com/uBqK69nwFK
– World Food Program (@WFP) June 1, 2021
Provide hunger relief
Aster Beyene, a 43-year-old mother of seven, became the one millionth person this week to harvest wheat, split peas and vegetable oil from the agency.
He lost his home and crop two months ago in the fighting.
“So far I have relied on what little food I could get from my neighbors. At least now we have some relief from the hunger we suffered “, She said Mrs Beyene, who comes from Adi Millen, a remote rural village about 50 kilometers from the northwestern city of Shire.
On Monday, WFP provided food aid to 4,500 villagers, closing the first round of distributions that will take place every six weeks in Tigray. Operations will be scaled up to reach 2.1 million people.
WFP is seeking $ 203 million to continue increasing response across the region, where an estimated 5.2 million people, or more than 90 percent of the population, are in need of emergency food assistance.
The agency continues to lead the emergency nutritional response to children and pregnant or breastfeeding women, although access remains the main challenge, particularly in rural areas.
WFP also delivered approximately 40,000 tons of food for the government and partners in Tigray and transported more than 20,000 tons for the National Disaster Risk Management Commission within the region.
There is no end to child violations: UNICEF
Almost seven months into the war, the scale of child rights violations occurring across Tigray shows no signs of abating, the head of the United Nations Children’s Fund, Unicef, said in a declaration on Tuesday.
“So far, over 6,000 unaccompanied or separated minors have been identified and registered for protection and assistance. We fear that there are many more children who are in need of support in areas we are unable to reach due to insecurity or access restrictions imposed by the warring parties, “said Henrietta Fore, executive director of UNICEF.
He added that family search and reunification has been limited by limits in telecommunications, social workers and access through control lines.
Sexual violence, recruitment fears
Women and girls in Tigray are still subject to what Ms. Fore described as “terrible acts of sexual violence”.
Although UNICEF has helped some 540 survivors since November, “the general lack of security and fear of reprisals leaves an unknown number of people unable to receive the care and services they urgently need,” he said. At the same time, adolescent boys report dreading recruitment and being used in hostilities.
The fighting has displaced at least 1.6 million people, including more than 720,000 children, according to Ms Fore, who said conditions at their host sites, as well as in refugee camps, are overcrowded, unhealthy and unhealthy. not safe.
Protect children from abuse
Meanwhile, much of Tigray remains inaccessible to aid workers.
“Since the beginning of April, at least 31 mobile health, nutrition and water team missions supported by UNICEF and partners have been blocked, due to insecurity or because they were harassed and denied access. passage, “Fore said.
UNICEF strongly believes that children are paying a terrible price for the conflict. The agency called on warring parties to respect their obligation to allow access to civilians in need, especially children.
“Above all, we urge all parties to do everything in their power to protect children from violence, exploitation and abuse and to prevent separation from their parents or primary caregivers,” Fore added.